Sunday, August 26, 2012

52 Poems (week 47 & 48)

I know it's been weeks and weeks since I made some headway into this Before I Go project... but the end is so tantalisingly close - just six more weeks. I can do six more weeks. Here we go - I'm counting week 47 for last week and week 48 for this one.

Week 47

T.S. Eliot's work sometimes lists closer to the religious exploration than I'm comfortable with, but I like the idea of the spiritually exhausted people in 'Preludes'. Here are my favourite bits, hopefully in small enlough portions to comply with whatever copyright still exists on this work.
The winter evening settles down
With smell of steaks in passageways.
Six o'clock.
The burnt-out ends of smoky days... 
... One thinks of all the hands
That are raising dingy shades
In a thousand furnished rooms... 
...Wipe your hand across your mouth, and laugh;
The worlds revolve like ancient women
Gathering fuel in vacant lots.

Week 48

Pretty sure I've posted some Pablo Nerudo here before, but I came across a print out of this poem the other day and I'm fairly certain I haven't read it. The following are the first and last lines of 'Leaning into the Afternoons'.
Leaning into the afternoons I cast my sad nets
towards your oceanic eyes... 
The night gallops on its shaowy mare
shedding blue tassels over the land.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...