Tuesday, May 14, 2013

10 little happies

I'm going to put aside the obvious big ticket items that make me feel happy, i.e. Lovely Husband, Dear Boy, my family, etc. We'll take those as a given. Here, instead, is a list of 10 smaller often unremarked happies.


1. Long naps - I'm not a napper myself but when Dear Boy goes down for two hours, I get a lot done. When he was younger, he was a one sleep-cycle napper. And although he'd have three or four 40 minute naps a day, it was never really long enough to do something. Usually it was enough time to scarf something down and pack the dishwasher. Or to decide on something to do during the next 40 minute nap. And, really. That's no fun at all. 

2. Finishing projects - setting a goal and completing it, making a promise and keeping it, planning to make something and making it, saying you'll do something and doing it. There's satisfaction in that. 

3. A Good Washing Day - when the sun is shining and the sky is blue and there's a breeze that blows enough to make the washing dance, and three loads go up and the laundry basket is empty and it all comes down dry (even the tricky little pockets and corners) just before sunset.

4. Publication - journal articles, magazine articles, reviews, even a good ol' fashioned letter to the editor gives me a bit of a thrill. A corollary to that is being quoted and listed in a bibliography; to be in an index is a mighty fine thing. 

5. Discovering new books/authors/series - I get terrible post good book syndrome and it often finds me staring forlornly at the bookshelves, head cocked and scanning for something, anything, the perfect thing to read. Usually I head back to something familiar, something snuggly, that I love and have read over and over. But last time, Lovely Husband huffed and threw two books at me, both science fiction (not my normal cup of tea). I tried the first and it was terrible but the second I fell into the story and ploughed my way through the four books of the series. Sure the covers were entirely embarrassing and the last two pages of the series were entirely unsatisfactory, but there's a whisper of a promise of more to come.


6. Growing things - something to eat, something pretty, when those little tendrils and buds appear there's a connection to the earth that's old as civilisation. Growing human beings is also pretty spectacular, although that's a far longer enterprise. Watching them blossom is amazing.

7. Playing a game - We have a big collection of board games including several editions of Trivial Pursuit, a new Boggle and two versions of Scrabble. We also have quite a few geeky games like Ninja Burger, Dilbert, Order of the Stick, Arkham Horror, Talisman and Munchkin. I also may or may not have Pride and Prejudice: The Board Game. Lovely Husband and I don't play as much now as we did before Dear Boy was born, but it's nice to pull one out occasionally and spent some face to face or side by side time. We laugh, we tease, we win and lose. Strangely, I am not a fan of computer/console games at all but do like a nice solo round of Freecell or Minesweeper - getting one of those out is both mind-numbing and satisfying.

8. A clean and fresh home - The doing part of this is not a happy at all, not for me anyway. But afterwards when the floors are clean and the surfaces are clear and the washing is put away and the dishes are in the dishwasher and the sheets are crisp and new, there's multiple little happies there.

9. A walk in the world - I am a fan of wandering through neighbourhoods, looking at houses and gardens and parks. Sometimes I feel a little jealous and sometimes Dear Boy is not a fan and I spend a lot of time distracting him, but sometimes he is content to watch and point and chatter and we wander through the quiet streets together. 

10. Blog comments - hint, hint.

11 comments :

  1. Love the photo of Dear Boy in his cot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's now happy to snuggle and chat with his toys for a little while when he wakes up. Poor Tigger and Hoot get thoroughly squished with 'cuggles' after his sleeps. For which I am very, very grateful.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your favourite things. I wish I could grow more things to eat. Our garden doesn't get the sun, so I move trays of rocket and herbs around the sunny patches to give them a fighting chance. Have you tried paying UNO? We take it everywhere with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently shifting a bag of potato seedlings around the garden as well! Not having much success with those at all.

      We have two versions of UNO - which I love! My brothers used to have Harry Potter UNO which was hilarious - whoever's birthday was closest to Harry's always got to go first.

      Delete
  3. Well here's one for number 10 to make you happy :D I'm with you, with finishing projects. I'm a procrastinator, so it's a very happy day for me when I actually get around to finishing something :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. O my, you've got so many that I forgot about! Like falling in love with a new series of books, a walk through a nice neighbourhood, and what woman isn't made happy by a clean house! I love all those things and forgot to put them on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discovering new authors = love. Are you on GoodReads? If not, I can't recommend it enough for finding great new books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list! :D but I seriously fail at growing things :(

    http://magicinacupcake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a clean home too! So nice to have everything put away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't all happen often enough. Most days just one or two things are done but sometimes that's enough.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...