Saturday, May 11, 2013

10 words or less

I already know that I'm not very good at selling myself - certainly not in words, which is weird given I deal with words a lot. But, as I was discussing with a friend yesterday, I've never gotten a job by selling myself in a cover letter, selection criteria and resume. Never. Not once. Even worse than that, I've never even gotten short listed or an interview. Every job I've ever had has been through word of mouth or someone I know recommending me or someone I know giving it to me because they knew I would be a good fit. So apparently I'm better in person than I am on paper. Which is even weirder because I feel like a complete nervous Nelly in person.

If I was selling myself for a job in ten words or less, I'd probably use words like this:

Dynamic lecturer
Innovative and productive researcher
Collaborative colleague
Experienced administrator

God, no wonder I never get jobs that way. So same same as what everyone else is saying.

If I was selling myself as a person, as a potential friend in ten words or less, I'd probably use these:

Generous, funny,
Conversation starved
Mum with gorgeous son:
Playdate ready.

I think I write better copy for other people than I do for myself.

4 comments :

  1. I love your personal list...honest but funny as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Seems we sorta came at this from the same perspective today. I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, seems we came at this with the same perspective. Am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stopping by from Blog Every Day in May.
    @JLenniDorner

    Good word selection.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...