Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Sneaky reading


I've been doing some sneaky reading. You know the kind - five minutes here while Lovely Husband does the bath time routine; five minutes there in bed before my eyelids start to weigh a tonne. All those little five minutes means I've actually finished a few books in the last couple of weeks.

The top two books, I've read before and picked up again when I'd run out of the unread ones. Fear and Trembling is a beautiful book - the story itself is a little 'meh' but the writing is elegant and lovely. It was originally written in French, so I'm not altogether sure whether it's an effect of the translation or the original writing. I suspect both. Q's Legacy is a book nerd non-fiction story about finding your reading niche, your reading mentor (of sorts) and also how she came to write her most famous book, 84 Charing Cross Road. Helene Hanff pretty much leads the charge in my non-fiction reading - I reread all her books regularly (especially 84 and Letters from New York). This is the one I've read the least times but occasionally it calls from the shelf.

Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris was a tax-refund treat, the very last of the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) mysteries. Even though the last few in the series were getting a bit same-same, I wanted to see it out. And, really, it was pretty same-same itself, but I needed the emotional payout after the investment of time and brain space I'd put in over the last couple of years.

The Rosie Project was a surprise book that my Mama smuggled into the house in her suitcase when she came to visit. She pushed hard for me to read it, following me around that first night while I cooked dinner, reading the first few chapters . It worked because I liked it. It's a Melbourne book. It's funny. It's got academics in it. It's got a strangely unlikeable but likeable lead character.

Have you read anything good (or not so good) lately? Are you a sneaky reader too?

6 comments :

  1. Oh, I'm a seriously sneaky reader. I'll tell hubby I'm going to bed because I'm wiped out and will read a few chapters in there by myself. I've just started The Rosie Project. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I particularly love the little rays of Melbourne that peek through - same with Kerrie Greenwood's Earthly Delights books. Nice to read something closer to home than what I normally do.

      Delete
  2. I have to laugh everytime I see sookie Stackhouse anything as that is my surname and because my name and I always get "Any relation to Sookie?" Ummm yeah cause she is such a real person lol xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Rosie Project. Something totally fresh that had true meaning. I'm currently reading Stephen King's "On Writing" for the 157th time. I just love it so much. It takes me about a month to read a book these days... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, love that one too. Love the way he spins the yarn of his accident and recovery, etc.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...