Friday, February 28, 2014

Intentional Play: February (the wrap-up)



February has been an interesting month for intentional play. I wrote halfway through February about the 'Emotions' theme and how it was playing out. There has been more of the same: more discussion, more books read, a little more TV watched, and far, far fewer photos than I normally take in a month.

In terms of craft, we did a few Winter Olympics activities, which thoroughly confused Dear Boy sometimes - watching the snow and athletes all rugged up, while sitting here in his nappy and a singlet. But it was too good an opportunity to miss. To get in the spirit there have been quite a few cottonball explosions in our loungeroom, shoveling 'snow' with his little gardening shovel and throwing blizzards of them at me and his toys. We made little peg people, both of whom he calls 'Mrs Peg', who've shooshed down mountains of bubblewrap and foam wrap rescued from posted packages. There was a half a cardboard tube luge track for the cars that gradually curled in on itself, becoming just that little bit too small for all the more portly competititors. Dear Boy nearly had a heart attack and died with pleasure when we tried this (I've bookmarked the 'Play Trains' blog to give me lots of ideas for my own little engineer - fantastic concept).

Mostly there was reading. And lots of love and happiness. And the usual periods of cars and trains and trucks.








Next month's theme is Autumn - and we'll be focusing on leaves, harvest, farm animals, fruits and vegetables and cooking. March marks a seasonal change for us, leaving the warmth of summer for the long slow slide towards winter. We've already been crunching through leaves on our walks, but fallen leaves that were burnt by the sun not falling because it's autumn. Autumn around here is beautiful. It actually feels like a whole other season - unlike our hometown up north where nothing really changed, nothing turned.

I'll pull the last of the summer herbs and tomatoes from the trug and consult Peter Cundall on what I should be planting for winter crops. It's probably too early in the season for actual harvests - nothing really comparable to the harvest season in the Northern Hemisphere, but we'll see what we can come up with.



We'll visit the Pop-Up Patch garden, on the roof above the Fed Square carpark, which was oh-so-summery when we trooped through a few weeks ago. We'll head back to the Collingwood Children's farm and see their crops, go to a farmer's market or two, pat a few cows. Maybe we'll even head out into the boonies to visit the other children's farms. Something new, something different.

Tomorrow I'll pull out our books on farms and animals, and sort through the caches of toys around the house for farm animals. Our visit to the library today didn't yield much, but I'm hopeful that the next one will be more bountiful.

Welcome to Autumn, southern folk; and have a lovely Spring, northerners. Have you got any seasonal activities planned?

2 comments :

  1. I love the idea of intentional play. I'm going to see if I can find a children's farm here, I'd love to take Miss 9 to that.

    I also just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience on my PhD series posts. I really enjoyed my PhD process, I never had any issues, was never particularly stressed and I thought I was doing something wrong because most people around me were losing it! I wish there were more people around me sharing their own very positive experiences and reassuring me that it could be smooth and trouble free, that 'that' happened :) thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, I think anyone considering a PhD should survey a range of graduates to get a good idea of the variety of experiences. Each candidature is as unique as the students and their thesis topics and their combination of supervisors, etc.

      Dear Boy loved the last children's farm we went to. Word of warning though - don't sit in the first row of the cow demonstrations. There were quite a few women in white who suddenly weren't :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...