Saturday, March 8, 2014

New (Australian) Songs on a Saturday morning: Vance Joy

I'm feeling a little bereft after finishing my New Songs project. It was there, humming in the background of this blog for so long, that it feels like a friend has moved away. I noticed when I was going through my favourites list that there were quite a few Australians featured, so I thought I might make myself a new project, aiming to listen to more local artists and showcase some of the ones I included on my list.

Vance Joy showed up at No 922 on my list with 'Playing with Fire' but here's another great song of his that Lovely Husband plays: 'Riptide'. He'll play it in the morning, checking his emails before he's off to work, and it will stay with me, lingering through the day.


This one, 'From Afar', is soft and powerful, and makes me well with a tear or two, just like The Beatles' 'Hide Your Love Away'. Each time.


I was suckered into this one by the title: 'Emmylou'. The few Emmylou Harris songs and performances I've heard have seeped into my bones ('Wrecking Ball' and 'Where Will I Be?', a duet of 'Angel' with Sarah McLaughlin from a Lilith Fair festival, 'Go To Sleep Little Baby' with Gillian Welch and Allison Krauss from O Brother Where Art Thou). I'm almost scared to listen to many more of her songs in case I fall too deep in love with her. So when I see songs with Emmylou in the title (like this one - oh my goodness, that chorus), I'm always checking to see if there's a kindred spirit there. I'm fairly sure this one's not about that Emmylou, but it's heavenly, nonetheless. 

 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...