Saturday, March 22, 2014

New (Australian) Songs on a Saturday Morning: Busby Marou

As part of my ongoing effort to increase the range of my cultural consumption, I undertook a challenge to listen to a metric crap-tonne new songs. I hit that goal at the end of January, notching up a cool 1000 new songs. My favourites can be found here. But after all was said and done, I was feeling a little bereft without the project to work on. It was there, humming in the background of this blog for so long, that it felt like a friend had moved away. I noticed when I was going through my favourites list that there were quite a few Australians featured, so I thought I might make myself a new project, aiming to listen to more local artists and showcase some of the ones I included on my list. I started with Vance Joy and this week am moving on to more of Busby Marou.

I first heard these two blokes, Thomas Busby and Jeremy Marou, on He Will Have His Way - The Songs of Tim and Neil Finn, doing a cover of 'Better Be Home Soon'. I didn't know they were unsigned at the time, the only unsigned act to feature on the album.

I had 'Biding My Time' at No. 648 on my New Songs list. It's gorgeous and their vocals are sweet. It's simple and cheery and when they sing "I can be the singer and you can be the song", I feel a little goose-pimply.


They released a new album, Farewell Fitzroy, a few months ago and I've been digging on the songs, feeling all 'aw shucks' whenever the Australian accents drop in. This little baby was released as a teaser audio track about a year ago:


And this, I'm assuming, is the single: 'Get You Out of Here'. I'm keeping it tucked away for one of those shitty days when you need both a good cry and a happy tune.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...