Saturday, May 3, 2014

New (Australian) Songs on a Saturday Morning: Little Red

As part of my ongoing effort to increase the range of my cultural consumption, I undertook a challenge to listen to a metric crap-tonne of new songs. I hit that goal at the end of January, notching up a cool 1000 new songs. My favourites can be found here. But after all was said and done, I was feeling a little bereft without the project to work on. It was there, humming in the background of this blog for so long, that it felt like a friend had moved away. I noticed when I was going through my favourites list that there were quite a few Australians featured, so I thought I might make myself a new project, aiming to listen to more local artists and showcase some of the ones I included on my list. This week I am moving on to more of Little Red.

I featured Little Red's 'Rock It' at No 100. Triple J gave it the No 2 slot in their 2010 Hottest 100. You'll probably recognise this one. This tune  makes me groove in my chair - a little embarrassing when the headphones are in and I have an audience. 



This Melbourne band were one of Triple J's Unearthed finds and a favourite of the festival scene for a while there. 'All Mine' is a little slice of sadness and a hint of the Melbourne skyline. 



Kick off those blues though and wrap yourself in this little bottle of sweetness - 'Coca Cola'. It's an early one and you can hear the rough edges of their style, but it feels like a the first stop on a great night out. 



Unfortunately the band are no more, announcing in 2012 that they were splitsville. Still, there's a few little pieces of awesome left to celebrate, including this one ('Slow Motion') which hit 79 of the 2010 Hottest 100 (two songs on the one Hottest 100 - fancy).


No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...