Monday, June 16, 2014

Meatless Monday: Sweet potato crumble (two ways)

Sweet potato crumble, Meatless Monday, Vegetarian, dairy-free, gluten-free


Lovely Husband likes to tease me about my appreciation of the orange vegetables. They seem to show up with great regularity in our meals so I think he's got something there. Along with carrot and pumpkin, I am a big ol' fan of the sweet potato. 

I'm always just a little jealous when it gets rolled out across the US in November for all manner of Thanksgiving side dishes. So in the tradition of Christmas in July, I'm using today's Meatless Monday post as a sort of Thanksgiving in June, so I can roll out even more orange-coloured dishes for my family.

Here are two sweet potato crumbles, one sweet and one savoury, which crossed our table on the same day in a small festival of deliciousness. Both start with steamed sweet potato and are finished with a golden crunchy topping.

The Savoury

The filling:
  • Sweet potato (peeled, sliced and steamed until almost cooked through)
  • Carrot (grated)
  • Red kale (chopped finely)
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 tsp fresh ginger (grated finely)
Mix the veggies and put into a greased oven-proof dish. Mix the juice and ginger then pour over the veggies.

The crumble:
  • 1-1.5 cups breadcrumbs (I used a mixture of Panko and regular because that's what I had in the cupboard)
  • Parsley (chopped)
  • 1/4 cup butter/margarine/non-dairy spread/coconut oil (I used butter)
  • 1/4 cup walnuts or pecans (roughly or finely chopped)
  • seasoning
Mix the breadcrumbs and parsley. Incorporate the spread/oil with your fingertips until all the clumps and lumps until it's more like course breadcrumbs. Stir through nuts. Top the veggies with crumble mixture (about a centimetre worth) and bake in a 180 degree oven for around 25 minutes or until golden brown. Try not to drop one of them when you take it out of the oven and break your dish like I did. 



The Sweet

The filling:
  • Sweet potato (peeled, sliced and steamed until almost cooked through)
  • 2 or 3 granny smith apples (peeled, sliced and steamed until almost cooked through)
  • sprinkle of sugar (optional)
Mix the sweet potato and apple and sprinkle with sugar if desired. I only do this if the apples are super sour.

The crumble:
  • 1/4 cup rice flour (use rice flour for a gluten-free option, plain flour works too)
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (coconut sugar or alternatives work fine too)
  • 1/4 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
  • 1/4 cup oats
  • 1/tsp spice (I used ground ginger and cinnamon)
  • 1/4 cup butter/margarine/non-dairy spread/coconut oil (I used coconut oil for the extra flavour)
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Mix the dry ingredients (except the nuts). Incorporate the spread/oil with your fingertips until all the clumps and lumps until it's more like course breadcrumbs. Mix in the nuts. Top the sweet potato and apple mixture with the crumble (about a centimetre worth) and bake in a 180 degree oven for around 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Both can be easily adapted to suit various allergies or dietary requirements. My sweet version was gluten and dairy free up until I smothered it in custard. Delicious. It got eaten before I could take a picture. Sorry (not sorry). 

4 comments :

  1. This will definitely be a winner in our house, everyone here loves sweet potato!
    Thanks for being such a loyal linker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that the link-up helps me think a bit more adventurously in terms of our veggie meals. We are only part time vegetarians and I've struggled to come up with meal ideas that my bean/legume hater would eat. Would be so much easier if Lovely Husband ate lentils! Thanks for hosting. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm with you, I love orange coloured veggies! These both sound right up my alley, I think I'll have to give the savoury version a try super soon - it would be a perfect winter warming meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cosy! Hope you enjoy it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to respond to what you have read here at Lilybett and Boy. I love reading through all your comments.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...